Glaucoma treatment center
Glaucoma is a disease that affects the optic nerve due to increased pressure within the eye. It is almost symptom free at the onset of the disease and if left untreated can result in permanent damage to vision. Regular eye exams at Atlantis Eyecare always include a screening for glaucoma so treatment can begin immediately if needed.
There are several ways glaucoma can damage the optic nerve through increased pressure or other factors.
- Open angle glaucoma – caused by restrictions in the flow of fluid in the eye which causes internal pressure.
- Normal tension glaucoma – diagnosed by the size and degree of cupping of the optic nerve instead relying on checking internal pressure which may be normal. Loss of peripheral vision is another sign of normal tension glaucoma.
- Angle closure glaucoma – in this type of glaucoma, fluid in the eye is partially blocked by the iris causing pain, nausea, blurry vision and tearing. It primarily affects the front of the eye.
- Congenital glaucoma – very rare but some patients are born with glaucoma.
- Secondary glaucoma – this is caused by a primary medical condition such as advanced diabetes or eye inflammation.
Glaucoma risk factors
Some patients are more at risk than others for developing glaucoma. Risk factors include:
- 60 years old and over
- African Americans have a 5x higher risk factor
- Mexican Americans have a higher risk factor
There are several treatment options for glaucoma patients. For those with higher than normal internal pressure, eye drops and oral medication can decrease the damaging pressure. Laser energy can be used to improve drainage within the eye structure which decreases pressure. In more complex cases, artificial drainage can be implanted to facilitate the reduction of pressure.
Expert glaucoma treatment at Atlantis Eyecare Anaheim
Glaucoma is a serious disease that can lead to blindness. Once it has been diagnosed our highly experienced glaucoma treatment Anaheim team compiles a plan unique to each patient and each type of glaucoma. We believe in thoroughly educating our patients on every aspect of glaucoma and how and why the treatment plan is their best option.
If you haven’t had an eye exam for awhile, take time to schedule one today. Glaucoma screening is one part of the overall eye care routine that should be done annually.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Call us at 714-821-4666